Corian, for scrolling

Have questions or comments about the magazine?<br>Post them here and they will be forwarded to the appropriate staff member for reply.

Corian, for scrolling

Postby minoweive » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:09 pm

this is for Berry Gross. I read a articul buy you way back. and you made a doulphine, I was inspiered buy this, and wonted to know more about how to . cut. heat and bend, and resaw this product. thanks Evie
If you don't learn from the past, your doomed to repeat it
minoweive

Re: Corian, for scrolling

Postby huntter2022 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:30 am

Hi Evie !!
Hope you had a Merry Christmas .
I belive this is what you are looking for from Berry site
http://www.bgartforms.com/Scroll_Saw_Te ... Advice.htm

David
huntter2022

Postby minoweive » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 pm

Thank you David. Evie
minoweive

Postby Brucew » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:20 am

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out Evie
Brucew

Postby tgaspard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:43 am

Wow! thanks for asking for the info Evie. I added that site to my favs. I have only cut one thing out of Corian. It was a cross with Mary in the middle of it and it was 1/2" thick. I wonder if you can resaw corian and if you do if you will get that high gloss back like is on the front. Or if you can even plane it for that matter.....Tonya
tgaspard

Postby huntter2022 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:41 am

Tonya if you go down farther they will show you how to polish it up so resawing would be possible I would take a scarp piece and try it 1st .

David
huntter2022

Postby minoweive » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi Tonya. yes I did resaw the corian, it was slow going. didn't wont to push it. and then I cut my project out. and simple enouph. I just used my mop sanders. 120 grit ,then 220. grit. and it took the saw lines off. then I just used my buffing compound,red, then white and it made it shine just like I wonted it to.
this stuff is assum. no wood grains. and it cuts great. I have big plans for this stuff. I am sure I am doing it all roung, but it is working for me.. the other things I like, I don't have to use any other finish on it. just buff it out. it cuts like a dream. and I don't notice any differants, in the cutting . like oak. or other hard woods. try it. Evie
If you don't learn from the past, your doomed to repeat it
minoweive

Postby tsevy99 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Last year I had some incredible good fortune. I was at the Utah State Fair and mentioned to one of the volunteer staff that I'd like to try scrolling with Corian. He told me that he had a few scraps that he was willing to give to me. I told him that all I had was a Camry -- he said that the Corian would easily fit in the back seat. What an Understatement. I filled the back seat, the front seat the floors and the trunk. I could just barely drive out of his driveway, and really scraped bottom. Some of the pieces are 3x4 feet. I have no idea how much he gave me, but it fills a shelf that is 4 feet by 2 feet by 18" tall. Lots of nice colors, lots of granite variations and marble variations. It has been fun. So far the biggest challenge I've had with Corian is drilling holes. The bit always raises a "pimple". Cuttin the Corian goes very well and leaves a nice smooth edge.

Tom Sevy in Salt Lake City
tsevy99

Postby tgaspard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:02 am

WOW!!! Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Tom. If you don't have any room for it....You can send some of it my way...LOL....We cut corian and my husband even makes pens out of corian....Tonya
tgaspard

Postby Mike M » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:24 pm

The best blade to cut corian is the FD-Polar # 5 blade.
Mike
Home of the FD Blades
Mike M

Return to CW&C Magazine