The new cutter

Have questions or comments about the magazine?<br>Post them here and they will be forwarded to the appropriate staff member for reply.

The new cutter

Postby GrandpaDew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:03 pm

I was just wondering if there are any plans to include some beginner patterns in CWC ?

Dave
GrandpaDew

Postby John Polhemus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:15 pm

Do you have certain type of project interest Dave? I can ask if anything of an easier design is available.

JP
John Polhemus
Admin

Postby GrandpaDew » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:42 am

John,
I was looking at a couple of CWC issues from September 1998 and Fall 1998 and several of those patterns looked like they would make easy cuts for the beginner cutter. What brings this up is the retail store I work in carries the CWC and I have had the opportunity to point this magazine out to customers expressing an interest in scroll sawing. The response has been from "Great, thanks for pointing that out" to "Oh my, that is way to complicated for me!"

So I was just curious to see if there were any plans for a simple cut to be included in a future issue or maybe even a link to a free download pattern aimed at the beginning cutter.

I have been a fan of your magazine for quite awhile and always look forward to your next issue.

Dave
GrandpaDew

Postby JTTHECLOCKMAN » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:11 am

I liked to weigh in here on this topic. I have been subscribing to this magazine from its beginnings. I have seen it make some course corrections over the years. It started out with a ball of fire and then lost its apeal not only to myself but to others from the talk around. So changes were made and another course correction has been made and I think it is on a fine track with interesting topics and the gallery is great addition and many other things. To get to my point I ask what is a simple pattern when you are talking to someone who doesn't scroll. To me there is only so much room in the magazine and to keep the interest with the more seasoned scrollers who I bet are the better portion of the market you need projects that are at least medium in difficulty. There are always have been included so called simplier patterns but to the novice these even look difficult. Learn the basics of scrollsawing and that difficulty goes away. So I would not like to see this magazine go in the opposite direction and start catering to the novice. There are listing of many great beginners books in the magazine and with this site the ability to reach out and ask questions to the pros to help make yourself a better scroller. So I vote do not change the format for now.
John T.
JTTHECLOCKMAN

Postby John Polhemus » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:02 am

Dave and JT both make some excellent points.

Since one of the fundamental goals of Scrollsaw Association of the World (SAW) is to expand interest in scrolling, perhaps they would be better suited for the task JT suggests.

Maybe local SAW chapters could demonstrate what scrolling is all about at their local retail outlets to generate interest and members.

JT's question makes a good topic for discussion. What ideas do any of you have for introducing non-scrollers to our art?

JP
John Polhemus
Admin

Postby GrandpaDew » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:05 pm

I just visited the home page of the CWC magazine and this is what I found on that page:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Creative Woodworks & Crafts® magazine is the best source available for original scroll saw and intarsia patterns, as well as many other kinds of small woodworking projects. Every project and feature article is new and exclusive — "see it FIRST in Creative Woodworks & Crafts!® Each issue features top-notch, original projects from many of the world's leading designers. We do not "borrow" or excerpt material from previously-published books; rather, all contents are fresh and exciting. In addition to projects and patterns, you will also find in Creative Woodworks & Crafts® many fascinating feature articles covering useful techniques, tips for working smarter and safer, how to sell your work, how to get a good finish on your projects, and much more. Whether you are a professional woodcrafter or a hobbyist, you will find much in this publication to interest and inspire you to greater heights of woodworking achievement. Come join the fun!

In the August Issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts®

Hi Folks! Welcome to our website, where you can get a good, close look at what's in our brand-new issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts®. If you already have this issue, you'll want to check out our new FREE, EXCLUSIVE WEBSITE PROJECT, complete with instructions and full size patterns. Also, don't forget to check out our NEW FORUM, which gives each of you the opportunity to communitcate directly with any of our designers; your questions and/or comments will be answered.

Thanks for joining us!

<see what's in this issue >

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't suggesting a course direction change nor a change directed to the novice but rather a chance for a beginner to give this craft/art/skill a try at something new and exciting.

Also notice the "Whether you are a professional woodcrafter or a hobbyist,........." also the exclusive website project? That area would be a great place for a simple, beginners pattern.

People need a place to start.

Dave
GrandpaDew

Postby Heiko Rettberg » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:40 am

Ups !! My idee for new scroller is in the New Topic "Non scroller discussion"
Heiko Rettberg

Postby pops-shop » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:19 am

Dave

I will agree that just about any pattern in CW&C is excellent, just jump right on in a practice. sometimes I feel that I'm just a beginner with some of the patterns but find out that with wood and a sharp blade, patience, saw speed and a steady hand will win out in the end.

mho

fred
Fred Wilson
May all your sawdust be a byproduct of something beautiful.
www.pops-shop.net
pops-shop

Return to CW&C Magazine